How to use loop and merge function for matrix table questions? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Dear all,

I am designing a survey, in which I want the respondents first list the main activities they did today. Then about each activity, I ask them some questions.

I want to use the loop and merge function of Qualtrics. When they make the list, I ask them to enter a brief description of that activity and the time them did it. For this question, I used matrix table with text entry. Later I want to cite the text they entered.

But I don't know how to base my later question on the earlier list (more specifically, which option to choose on the loop and merge page for a matrix table question). Here are some pictures of my survey. Is there someone that could help me figure out? Thanks.!

!

Best wishes

Daniel
Base your loop & merge off the selected choices in your Matrix question. In l&m field 2 pipe in the answer to the brief description column. Then pipe field 2 into your loop question(s).
This is a duplicate question. See https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/4526/how-to-use-loop-and-merge-function-for-matrix-table-questions

This could have been just a bit clearer...
"In l&m field 2 pipe in the answer to the brief description column."
totally get the SELECTED CHOICES for L&M and see Field 1 populated - great,
but similarly I have a matrix with likert scale 0 - 4 -
What do I write in the "Field 2" table for each of the "Field 1s" ? I don't understand the answer - I think you mean something like "${q://QID1/ChoiceDescription/1} ?
Just an picture example on the inadequate Loop & Merge documentation would really help for each type of question. Or spelling it out for thickos like me!!
Thanks for clarification, obviously Daniel got it!

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/44429#Comment_44429The answer made sense in the context of Daniel's question.
For a Likert matrix I think you'll want to pipe the answer for each row (aka scale point) into field 2. For example, ${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers/1}.

Just spotted your answer: ${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers/1}, huh?
I'll try that, thanks TomG
So I was on the right lines.. Sorry I was annoyed with the documentation not being very complete.
( PS the link for 'duplicate answer' goes nowhere, even with 'XM' added to community - that was also part of the frustration )

Leave a Reply