New Unified Dashboard Filters Across the XM Platform | XM Community

New Unified Dashboard Filters Across the XM Platform

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Dashboard filters have been unified across the XM Platform into a single consistent experience for dashboards filters in all product lines, so that EX Dashboards will soon be getting some of the filtering features that were originally developed in other product lines, e.g., CX Dashboards.

EX customers that migrate to the new filters experience will get the new features and changes outlined here. Existing filters will be converted so you will have the same filters in all of your existing dashboards. The new viewer experience will be almost identical to the previous viewer experience unless explicitly changed by the dashboard editor.

New Features

_Click to Filter_

Simple Chart, Simple Table, Pie Chart, Word Cloud, and Number Chart widgets allow users to click on a data point to filter the page. Clicking on the data point again will un-apply the filter.

For example, clicking on the “North America” bar in this Simple Chart will automatically drill in by applying a page filter for the North America region.
!
!

Even if the filter didn’t previously exist on the page, one will be added. This feature is enabled on widgets by default, but can be disabled on a widget by widget basis by a dashboard editor.

!

_Page-Level Filters_

Instead of adding filters that apply to the entire dashboard, dashboard editors can now configure which filters are available on each independent page of the dashboard. Now when you make changes to a page’s filters, only the selected page will be affected. Removing or changing the default value of a filter on one page will not automatically be applied on all other pages.

Dashboard editors can also save filters so they can quickly and easily add them on the desired pages - see _Saved Filters_ below.

_Filter Pages Independently_

Dashboard editors can choose whether they’d like pages to be filtered independently. For example, let’s say you add a date filter to the Overview page. You may not want this to carry over as you visit other dashboard pages.

To keep page filters separate from one another, go to your dashboard settings and enable Filter pages independently.
!
When enabled, filter selections will only apply to the selected page. When disabled, applied filter selections will persist when navigating to other pages.

Filter pages independently will be disabled by default for EX customers so the default behavior is consistent with current experience with EX dashboard filters.

_Saved Filters_

Dashboard users can save filter configurations, such as frequently used and favorite filters, and then select and load them next time the dashboard is viewed. Saved filters are only visible to the user that saves them.

!

Dashboard editors can use saved filters to quickly configure the same set of filters on different pages. While in edit mode, creating a saved filter will save all the filters on the page along with their selections, and applying a filter to a page applies every aspect of that saved filter to the page.

_Advanced Filters_

Dashboard editors can use advanced filter operations such as “OR”, “AND”, “is not empty”, “does not contain” and more to filter the page. These features allow you to nest conditions and create complex filters that fit your every need.

!

_“No Data Found” Indicators_

Filter values that will result in no data will be listed in a separate section.

!

_New Date Filter Options_

Date filters now support custom time frames. For example, you can now find data for the last Year, for the last 3 weeks, for the last 6 quarters, and so on.

!

_New Text Filter Options_

Text filters now allow you to use exact matches, match against multiple words, and filter out responses that contain a specified keyword.

!

_Lock Filters_

Dashboard editors can optionally lock a given filter. This prevents the filter from being changed by any dashboard viewers.

!

Note: This should not be used as a replacement to data restrictions.

_Filtering Multiple-Selects by Exclusive Responses_

This feature is only available on multi-select fields. Enabling Exclusively is on a filter will narrow results to responses that match your exact selection. So, “Favorite color exclusively is Blue” will filter to all results where the respondent answered only “Blue,” and will filter out results where respondents selected “Blue” and “Red.”

!

_Reset to Default_

Dashboard viewers can reset their current filter selections to the default filters the dashboard editor set up the page with. Just click Reset to Default.

!

_Hide Filters_

Dashboard viewers can hide all filters on the current page. This leaves more screen space for the widgets on the page.

!

You can also bring back all the hidden filters by selecting Display Filters.

Changes to Existing EX Filters

_Dashboard Filters Replaced with Page-Level Filters_

As noted in the Page-Level Filters section above, dashboard editors will no longer set up filters at the dashboard-level. The page-level filters and saved filters features will allow for quick set up of the same filters on multiple pages while allowing for flexibility to configure a different set of filters on pages that have different needs. For existing dashboards, all existing dashboard-level filters will be migrated over to page-level filters so the same filters that are currently setup will exist on each page after the migration. However, you will then be able to configure the filters on each page independently going forward.

_Show / Hide filters_

Dashboard users will no longer be able to hide filters from the default view or hide specific filters while leaving others visible. Dashboard users will have a new feature to allow them to show or hide all filters at once.

This is the menu that will be removed:
!

This is the menu replacing it:
!
!

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Does any of this apply to those of us who have Research Core but not XM Directory?
Userlevel 6
Badge +27
This is amazing!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@uhrxx005 No - this update only applies to Employee Experience Dashboard users.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I would like to see the "Filtering Pages Independently" option for Customer Experience users. The process of re-filtering for each page in a dashboard becomes onerous and confusing for certain projects - in my opinion this should be a basic feature available for all dashboard editors.

I'm with Qubie, why isn't there a "Dashboard Settings" panel for CX users? I can see that some of other updates made it to CX, so why not this one?
The filters are onerous for users and they present a major obstable for the consumers of our data, resulting in us having to throw all data onto a single page because navigating between page with filters resetting confuses clents. It should be technically easy to make these changes within CX if they are already in EX.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

pashches Good suggestion - adding a Dashboard Settings panel to CX is something we're looking into now.

Badge +2

Hi Katharine,

Has that been logged as a suggestion we can upvote? I'd like to get all 10k of my end users to upvote it :)

James

Badge +3

I'm running into an issue where adding a filter at the top of the dashboard impacts the data in the dashboard widgets, even when no selection is made. Example: I have 15 responses in total. As soon as I add a filter (set to "all") for a specific question that only 10 people answered, the entire dashboard only displays data for the 10 people who responded to the filterable question. This is a huge problem for us. Do I have an incorrect setting?

Following up on this to see if this feature has been enabled for CX dashboards yet? I have a client requesting this feature on their CX dashboards.

Badge +2

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/25432#Comment_25432Following up on my previous comment .. any news on getting dashboard settings for CX users who want filters to carry over between dashboards?

Badge +48

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/40289#Comment_40289Unfortunately, this update does not include a feature allowing filters to be used on multiple dashboards, as each filter is based on a dashboard-specific fieldset.

Leave a Reply