How to merge employees in EX directory | XM Community
Question

How to merge employees in EX directory

• 31 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How can I merge employees in my EX directory into a single employee? I have some employees that have changed emails, named, etc that have caused duplicate employees to be created. I want to merge the old employee into the new employee, while also preserving all historical data from past surveys they have taken via the older employee. Is there a way to do this in the platform or through an API call?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@corinally You can use update unique identifiers feature for this task https://www.qualtrics.com/support/employee-experience/directories/unique-identifiers-ex-360/#UpdatingEveryone
Hope this helps

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@dxconnamnguyen thank you that is a good start. However, I want to merge on Employee ID, which will have duplicates for the new and old employee records. That page says “If your selected field contains duplicate or empty values, then the update will fail and no employees will be updated. See the following section for troubleshooting and fixing these issues.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@dxconnamnguyen thank you that is a good start. However, I want to merge on Employee ID, which will have duplicates for the new and old employee records. That page says “If your selected field contains duplicate or empty values, then the update will fail and no employees will be updated. See the following section for troubleshooting and fixing these issues.”

@corinally If you scroll down, the last section called “Migrating from Email to Unique Identifiers” you can see the best practice for your case. In short, you have to decide which Employee contact to keep for future record and assign a meaningful ID to all of your contact. The next time a update happen you should update base on that ID so no more duplication. 

Leave a Reply