How to export seen/unseen descriptive text items? | XM Community
Skip to main content

I have a survey set up with a couple of descriptive text items that display/don't display based on some logic and some quotas. I'd like to be able to export this information in the data export. Qualtrics support advised that I check the settings to recode seen but unanswered questions, but this isn't working for me, I think because these are descriptive text, so there is no possible input from the respondent.
Any clever ideas on how to set this up differently so that it comes through in the export? I'm also planning to submit this as a product idea.

Depending on how many questions you have, you could either go with some JS or if the number is managable, then by using branching in the survey flow.
Towards the end of the survey (or after the block, depends on your flow) create a group. In this group add branches which execute on "is displayed" and set an embedded variable to a value after this.
So suppose Q3 is displayed based on the answer of Q2. Then, you could have an embedded variable block setting the value

Q3_displayed
to
TRUE
, within the branch which executes only if
Q3 is displayed
This way, you'll either have Q3_displayed as empty or TRUE, based on the choice made in Q2.
You could also look at this answer if you are interested in the JS solution.

GENIUS, thank you!! I have never used groups before.

:-).
Groups are optional, they'll just tidy up your survey flow.

Leave a Reply