Embedded data 101 -- from Excel spreadsheet columns to Qualtrics survey? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello-
Background. New-ish (since April) to Qualtrics. Using Qualtrics for challenging data collection/record coding effort for which it was not designed. I have an Excel spreadsheet w/ 500 existing cases and about 10 usable variables/columns.
I need help figuring out how to use Qualtrics such that when I pull up the personal/individual survey Qualtrics link for a case/person, it will be pre-populated -- from the Excel spreadsheet -- with the person's name and data for the 10 usable variables.
[If my post demands too much of the goodwill of the Qualtrics community, let me know and I will call Qualtrics customer support.]
I (now) know how to:

• generate individual survey links for each case (to facilitate remote researchers’ data entry)

• designate the 10 usable variables as "embedded data”

• insert Embedded Data into the survey flow at the beginning of the instrument (which will allow me to enter and update data for these 500 cases on an add'l 50 variables as they flow through a system)

I otherwise have a shaky grasp of the overall sequence of steps or minimum requirements so even a bare summary would be useful. 
Questions:
  • What is the general order in which I need to accomplish the steps?

• I'm using the case name as a CONTACTID/unique identifier. (The email for each case is the same.)

• Do the Embedded Data (ED) need to be in the distribution list (that includes the survey links) for me to pipe Excel data into my survey? (If so, how do I accomplish this? ETA: Manual input. + Embedded data variables there.]) What is considered a "variable name" in Qualtrics? i.e., does the Excel column/variable name need to match the Qualtrics "Question Label" for this to work? 

• is the "Embedded Data" Dblock] in Survey Flow where I make the piping happen? And if so, how? i.e., Survey Flow-Set a value now - Insert piped text-Embedded data]

• Lastly, to date, I have been unsuccessful in getting Qualtrics to bring in all the Excel cases. For example, Qualtrics “freezes” after importing/accessing  a subset of the cases (200/500 total cases; or 70/120 cases in a particular state).

Thank you in advance for any guidance or direction to a specific existing discussion or resource that you can provide.

1) Create a copy of your Excel file
2) Strip this down to the bare minimum - that is delete out any nonusuable columns so you are left with an Excel file that is 500 (cases) x 10 (usable variables)
3) Program the questionnaire in Qualtrics
4) Instead of uploading your Excel file as a contact list, Import the data into your data & analysis tab (https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/data/import-responses/) - see Configuring Your Input for getting the Excel data to line up with the right questions in Qualtrics (

• This takes the place of uploading a contact list, creating embedded data, and piping data into your survey

5) Download the data you just imported data
  • This is how you will get the RESPONSEID needed in the next step

6) In Excel Build the Survey Retake Links (https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/retake-survey-link/#BuildingARetakeLink)
  • Use the Excel Concatenate function

• =concatenate("SURVEYLINK","?QR=",CELL_WITH_ID,"&Q_R_DEL=1")

• Where SURVEYLINK=the anonymous link for your survey

• And actually click on the cell with the row's responseID where you see "CELL_WITH_ID" - so that will be something like D4

7) Send these links out as appropriate for updating and filling in additional data - assume you will do this outside of Qualtrics, see using a mail merge. The Qualtrics mailer won't work for you anyway because you said the email address is the same for all 500 cases and the mailer will only let you send one email to an address.
  • When a respondent clicks the link your survey will start from the beginning.

• It will overwrite that record in the data.

• And you can then make edits and add information on to the record using the Qualtrics survey like a form.

This is incredibly informative, and promising!
THANK YOU. I appreciate your willingness to share what you know, and this detailed explanation.

Leave a Reply