🥇Olympics | Badge of the Month | August 2024 | XM Community
Skip to main content

How to Participate

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who join our team and contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between August 1 and August 31, will receive this badge worth 50 points by the end of the month. 

Badge Of The Month | August 2024 

Task {EDITED}: The Paris Olympics may have finished but let’s keep the excitement alive! Answer one or both of the questions below. Comment on other posts to keep the conversation going!

1. Who were your favorite athletes/sports to watch at the Paris Olympics? Why were they your favorite?

2. What is your all-time favorite Olympic moment?

I love the Olympics!  I’ve been watching rugby 7s, soccer, volleyball, beach volleyball, tennis, and swimming. Can’t wait for the track events.  I played varsity volleyball and just love watching all team sports.

Honestly I like watching most of them (kind of an Olympics junkie), but if I am forced to pick it would be the swimming and diving.  I spent a lot of my childhood and teen years swimming, so it’s a bit of nostalgia and respect for the work the athletes put in.

Watching any routine by Meryl Davis & Charlie was always a highlight for me.

Weil, usually I would go with Soccer and some German athlete but…

My absolute favorite is Simone Biles. Her performances have been consistently flawless, proving that she is currently the top gymnast in the world, fully deserving of every medal she wins.

I was thrilled to see her win the Gold Medal in the individual all-around today, especially after overcoming several setbacks in recent years. It was truly well-deserved!

My family has been watching the gymnastics most closely (both men's and women's), but we have the Olympics on in the background to catch whatever we can.

My kids (ages 3 and 5) both LOVE gymnastics (or just ‘nastics to my littlest) so they have been super interested in the Olympics this year and that has been so fun to watch with them.  We really enjoyed Stephen Nedoroscik and of course Simone Biles.

What am I NOT watching?? I’ve been glued to men’s and women’s gymnastics, diving, swimming, and alll the volleyball since two of my girls play...and, the list goes on.

As for a favorite moment - in these games, I absolutely loved how the men not only got a medal (finally!), but celebrated their Bronze like it was Gold. Also when Phelps gave the medal to the swimmer who broke his record! CLASS all the way around.

I very much enjoy watching the popular sporting events, but I also enjoy watching sports and events I am not normally exposed to in my everyday life, like archery, cricket, and handball. It’s great to learn about these other disciplines, and hear athletes’ stories from around the world and how they earned their spot in the Olympics 🌍

I am also hoping that there will be ample coverage of the Paralympics available, as well!

I like to watch all the sports in the Olympics, but my favorite sport is ARTISTIC SWIMMING, it's like figure skating but with the magic of the water.

🏅To me the Olympics are a crucible for the broader sweep of mankind 🌍 

🏆 Can't say I have a favorite sport or athlete as I dip in and out of televised events depending who I happen to be with 📺 

🥉That said I do keep an eye out on events featuring the Dutch teams and our standing in the medals table 🎯

🥈I particularly enjoy seeing the underdog win, especially the smaller countries that prevail over the big favourites 💪

😃Oh the human drama 😮

For me all athletes are favorite as they have worked very hard to reach to this stage. weather they win or loose they are WINNERS. My favorite sport is hockey.

Best moment from this year is a pregnant women playing fencing, proving a women can do anything.

https://olympics.com/en/news/egypt-fencing-nada-hafez-pregnant-paris-2024-olympics

Top sports to watch at the Paris Olympics: Boxing, Shooting, TT, javelin throw and hockey. And my favorite athletes are “Javelin throw master Neeraj Chopra (sarpanch)” and “TT master of India Manika Batra”. Unfortunately Manika is out from women’s singles competition, but now all eyes are on Sarpanch. Hoping for best. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

My favorite sports to watch in the Olympic Games are swimming, athletics, and artistic gymnastics. I find these sports truly beautiful. The perseverance and discipline shown by the athletes are admirable. Each competition is a display of talent and effort, and watching them in action is an inspiring experience.

I love the Olympics!  I’ve been watching rugby 7s, soccer, volleyball, beach volleyball, tennis, and swimming. Can’t wait for the track events.  I played varsity volleyball and just love watching all team sports.

@SlyNick , thanks for sharing! Soccer and beach volleyball are two of my favorites!

🏅To me the Olympics are a crucible for the broader sweep of mankind 🌍 

🏆 Can't say I have a favorite sport or athlete as I dip in and out of televised events depending who I happen to be with 📺 

🥉That said I do keep an eye out on events featuring the Dutch teams and our standing in the medals table 🎯

🥈I particularly enjoy seeing the underdog win, especially the smaller countries that prevail over the big favourites 💪

😃Oh the human drama 😮

We all love a good underdog story! Not sure if it counts as an underdog story but seeing the casualness of the Turkish sharpshooter win silver while others wore really specialized gear was really cool and amusing!

I was also blown away by how casually cool the Turkish sharpshooter Yusuf Dikeç was. 😎

I’m really enjoying seeing the social media videos of athletes hanging out in the Olympic village, trading pins, and eating those chocolate muffins. It’s awesome to see people bonding and forming connections! 

Great Topic as always.

Like watching each sport event, and its always great to cheer for India 😉

The best ones are shooting, boxing and badminton.

Most memorable moment is to listen and salute on the National Anthem (on getting a GOLD, fingers crossed). 

Our house loves to watch the swimming and gymnastics every summer games! Also cheering on the USWNT in soccer this year! 

The most memorable moment is when Kerri Strug won the gold medal for US Women’s gymnastics at the 96 games in Atlanta after injuring her ankle. It was electric to see her push through and then be carried off! 

1. I looking forward to watching Manu Bhaker (India) as she competes today to win her third medal in a single Olympics edition. She became the first Indian athlete to win two medals in a single Olympics edition. I am really inspired by her as she said that she reads Bhagwat Geeta regularly and a main mantra which helped her win medals was ‘Always focus on Karma and not on the outcome of the Karma’.
  2. My one of the all time favorite olympics moment is when Mutaz Barshim of Qatar and Gianmarco Tamberi of Italy, shared a gold medal in a heartwarming display of sportsmanship and friendship. After both athletes cleared 2.37 meters, they attempted to clear 2.39 meters but failed. Instead of going into a jump-off to determine the winner, Barshim asked the official if they could share the gold medal. Tamberi agreed, and the official confirmed that it was possible.

I’m not really into sport, but do like watching the parts of the Olympics, we caught the surfing the other day, which I hadn’t realized was an Olympic sport! 

1. Se-young Kim, Women Badminton Player

I enjoy playing badminton as a hobby, but I have never seen a player who is so overwhelmed and enjoys games.

You can feel what overwhelming is. At the Olympics, I think it is the best manners to show the best performance regardless of the country and the opponent.

I enjoy playing badminton as a hobby, but I have never seen a player who is so overwhelmed and enjoys games.

You can feel what overwhelming is. At the Olympics, I think it is the best manners to show the best performance regardless of the country and the opponent.

2. 1992, USA Basketball team

The most memorable moment was when the NBA Dream team participated in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Even though the world's best players gathered as a team and overwhelmed their opponents by more than 30 points in each game, all the opponents who participated in the game considered it an honor.

Since then, many basketball players around the world have been developing and realizing their dream of becoming an NBA player.

1. I'm looking forward to seeing Femke Bol in the 400 meter hurdles. I think she's going to make history, if she hasn't already.

2. To see how Pieter van de Hoogenband and Inge de Bruijn won gold in swimming in 2000. I feel like they won everything in those Olympics.

1. Being a Brit, any of our althetes from team GB.
  2. Snoop Dogg being a total legend at this Olympics! I can only imagine the hype train when the Olympics head to the US.

I like to watch Olympics. My favourite sports to watch is hockey. I am hoping India to win Gold medal this time and they have already made it to semifinals, owing to splendid performance by team, especially Sreejesh, in quarterfinals! 

I like watching the gymnastics and swimming.  Simone Biles is fun to watch but they all put so much time and effort into theirs sport; I feel sorry for them when their day doesn’t pan out for them. Kudos to all the Olympians.

Great Topic as always.

Like watching each sport event, and its always great to cheer for India 😉

The best ones are shooting, boxing and badminton.

Most memorable moment is to listen and salute on the National Anthem (on getting a GOLD, fingers crossed). 

I second that boxing is awesome to watch! 🥊

1. I looking forward to watching Manu Bhaker (India) as she competes today to win her third medal in a single Olympics edition. She became the first Indian athlete to win two medals in a single Olympics edition. I am really inspired by her as she said that she reads Bhagwat Geeta regularly and a main mantra which helped her win medals was ‘Always focus on Karma and not on the outcome of the Karma’.
  2. My one of the all time favorite olympics moment is when Mutaz Barshim of Qatar and Gianmarco Tamberi of Italy, shared a gold medal in a heartwarming display of sportsmanship and friendship. After both athletes cleared 2.37 meters, they attempted to clear 2.39 meters but failed. Instead of going into a jump-off to determine the winner, Barshim asked the official if they could share the gold medal. Tamberi agreed, and the official confirmed that it was possible.
  1. Wow, I didn’t know this was possible! That truly is a great example of sportsmanship. Thanks for sharing!