🥇Olympics | Badge of the Month | August 2024 | XM Community
Skip to main content

How to Participate

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who join our team and contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between August 1 and August 31, will receive this badge worth 50 points by the end of the month. 

Badge Of The Month | August 2024 

Task {EDITED}: The Paris Olympics may have finished but let’s keep the excitement alive! Answer one or both of the questions below. Comment on other posts to keep the conversation going!

1. Who were your favorite athletes/sports to watch at the Paris Olympics? Why were they your favorite?

2. What is your all-time favorite Olympic moment?

I love watching synchro diving - I have a fear of diving and so it’s even that much more amazing that they are able to do what they do. My favorites are seeing any expectant mothers, this year an archer and a fencer.

@kgillis, I agree that it’s incredible how athletes, especially expectant mothers, manage to excel in their sports despite the challenges!

I really enjoy watching the swimming events and gymnastics.

They are sports that you don't see every day, and I'm always impressed whenever I watch them. 🤗

1.  Cannot beat watching the Hockey - such an awesome amount of skill on display, and it is still one of the most sought after titles in the sport
  2. As an Australian still can’t really beat Cathy Freeman’s gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics!

1. I have become a fan of Neeraj Chopra (Javelin throw). Despite struggling with injuries, he secured a silver medal in the Paris Olympics.
  2. I still feel that Neeraj Chopra's gold medal at Tokyo 2020 was remarkable! However, his silver medal win at Paris 2024 comes very close. Neeraj's journey is truly inspiring, from his humble beginnings to becoming a world champion. In General, I feel All the athletes teach us about dedication, perseverance, and passion.

I really enjoy watching the swimming events and gymnastics.

They are sports that you don't see every day, and I'm always impressed whenever I watch them. 🤗

I agree! What I love about the Olympics is that it highlights sports that otherwise don’t often get a lot of attention!

I loved watching the Judo matches. As a jiu jitsu praxctitioner, I love to show support for our sister sport. 

As for greatest moment, I have to go back to the 1992 Dream Team. Seeing that many All-Star players on the court at the same time was just amazing to see as a child. 

I have to admit I am not a big fan of watching the Olympics - but when I caught glimpses of it what I really love watching is just seeing the excitement of the athletes and the support of the teams around them.

There is undoubtably so much passion in what each of them do, and the strength comes from the teams who support them too.  Not sure anything comes close to matching this and I find that really inspirational to watch. 

This meant I enjoyed watching what ever event just happened to be on at the time, and exposing me to many events I knew little about.  In hindsight maybe I should have watched it some more.

@XM_JoshB Good to see a fellow BJJ practitioner. Oss!

I’m not really a fan of the sport but I’ve watched every Opening Ceremony to see the City/Country show off their culture. My favorite moment is from London2012 when the Queen and 007 jump down from a helicopter. Although that was 2 stuntmen, it was hilarious.

This year ceremony is somewhat avant-garde. It still looks interesting despite the controversy.

I liked watching sports that were not part of the previous Olympics like Breaking and Skateboarding. Even if they were not the most interesting competitions (in my opinion!) it’s always fun to watch something new and try to predict if it will come back for following editions!

Favorite moment(s) off all time is seeing Shaun White, in snowboarding events like half pipe, crushing it for multiples years in a row. At the time, nobody was able to be even close!

I’m not really a fan of the sport but I’ve watched every Opening Ceremony to see the City/Country show off their culture. My favorite moment is from London2012 when the Queen and 007 jump down from a helicopter. Although that was 2 stuntmen, it was hilarious.

This year ceremony is somewhat avant-garde. It still looks interesting despite the controversy.

I agree that the Olympic Ceremonies are a great way for each nation to introduce themselves to the rest of the world. The uniforms are especially cool to look at. Mongolia definitely won this Olympic’s ‘Most Stylish’ award!

I liked watching sports that were not part of the previous Olympics like Breaking and Skateboarding. Even if they were not the most interesting competitions (in my opinion!) it’s always fun to watch something new and try to predict if it will come back for following editions!

Favorite moment(s) off all time is seeing Shaun White, in snowboarding events like half pipe, crushing it for multiples years in a row. At the time, nobody was able to be even close!

I feel like Breaking could be a one-and-done but I may be wrong! I’m excited for cricket and flag football to join the upcoming Olympic sports.

I like watching watching Olympics from the time when Rajya Vardhan Singh Rathore got Sliver in 2004.

This year all eyes were on Vinesh Phogat, Neeraj Chopra and we are really proud of them !!!

This was my first time closely following the Olympics, and I tired to watch as many events as possible, with a special focus on badminton, hockey and wrestling.

Vibrant celebration of athleticism, dedication, and international unity. Every competition was filled with passion and energy, turning the Games into an unforgettable global festival.

I followed Hockey and javelin through closely in this Olympic Games and My favorite athlete is Neeraj Chopra, his performance in javelin through was both thrilling and inspiring. Also, loved to watch Hockey final.

I followed Hockey and javelin through closely in this Olympic Games and My favorite athlete is Neeraj Chopra, his performance in javelin through was both thrilling and inspiring. Also, loved to watch Hockey final.

Several people mentioned Neeraj Chopra, so I looked him up—it’s impressive that he’s considered India’s greatest javelin thrower and a multiple Olympic medalist!

I had so much going on this summer that I didn’t pay much attention to the Olympics, but the track and field (athletics) events were the most gripping, especially with all the countries that participated. I need to go back and watch the competition!

As for my favorite Olympic moments, there are two that stand out and both are from Winter Games, oddly enough. The first was the “Battle of the Carmens” in 1988 in Calgary, which was so artful and I had the music from the opera playing in my head for months after. The second was the elimination round for the hockey tournament in 2012 in Vancouver, where there were so many great games, highlighted by Alex Ovechkin’s massive hit on Jaromir Jagr. The whole tournament was capped off by Sidney Crosby singlehandedly beating the US in the gold medal game.

It was all amazing! The amount of talent that is showcased during those couple of weeks is astonishing. A few of my favorites are women’s and men’s basketball, gymnastics, track and field, and surfing! I was fortunate enough to get to see the men’s basketball team scrimmage against Canada in Vegas before they left for Paris!🏅

1. Watching Rugby 7s because I want to learn the sport better so I can grow it in my area (and in America in general).
  2. This is a toughy. Kerri Strug pulling through pain because she wanted to support her team and country, Jason Lezak closing what seemed like an insurmountable gap as anchor in the men’s relay and the guys just exploding with excitement, Shaun White blasting off into the air with one of his crazy new tricks making Olympic debuts and winning him gold, Rulon Gardner coming through victorious against Aleksandr Karelin - the Russian Bear. As a US citizen, you can see I get a lot of US coverage. 😄